~Ines' writing class~

Thursday, March 15, 2007

A significant sofa with lint

There is a sofa in my living room. It sounds nothing special, but you will find that it is more clapped-out than the other sofas. It is a soft chair and has a cushion with lint. Why we put such an old chair there? It has a story.
When my parents got married, they didn’t want to ask my grandparents to give them anything. All of the furniture were bought by my parents themselves, including the house. However, my grandparents still wanted to buy something to my mom as wedding presents. Finally, they bought a set of sofas. My mom even cried for this surprise. Since my parents moved into their house, the set of sofas are there. Time went by slowly and the wooden sofa, had been eaten by termites. We had no choice but to throw them, but leave the fine one which currently puts in our living room.
Until now, I usually sit on that sofa and have a drink. My father always sits on it and cuts his foot nails. My mother always sits on it and watches Korean episodes and my brother always sits on it and plays his video games. Although that sofa seems not to match with the other new sofas, it is my parents’ memory and also a significant chair for me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

I think your ideas are suuported with detail and explain. I also like your story of sofa, it's specific and imaginative.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Iris Cheng said...

After reading your essay, it conjures up chairs of my grandmother. Those chairs are her wedding presents and they still put in my house. Some of them put around my piano, and they are like yours, not blanced to look.

8:06 PM  
Blogger eunice said...

I could feel that you reallly love this sofa from this artical. You decribed it in detail.

11:24 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

‧What a significant sofa! I hope your sofa can last forever.
‧In the second paragraph, "...the wood of the sofa had eaten by the white ants." "Had eaten" should be "had been eaten".

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home